THE PASSING OF TIME


THE PASSING OF TIME

As a child I lay on the cool, green grass;
The gentle breeze blew through my hair.
I had no worries or troubles.
I longed for Time to stop there.

But Time went on, ignoring my appeal,
Then I grew into a young miss.
I sang and danced and hung with my friends;
I enjoyed my youthful bliss.

But when I became an adult,
Time took me to a harder life;
I learned to find joy and happiness,
Amidst the world and its strife.

I watched my children playing,
Near my husband in his chair.
He was reading the Bible to them;
I wanted Time to stop there.

But Time just kept on going,
Until I found I was old.
My children hovered ’round my bed.
Time had taken its toll.

“Just give me this day with my children, Time.”
“Let me stay a little bit longer.”
Though Time ignored my final pleas,
I suddenly became stronger.

My pain had left; I felt such peace,
Then I heard a trumpet sound.
Christ held out His hand to me,
And the angels all gathered around.

One unfurled his wing to point,
To a mansion I knew would be mine.
I walked to my home on streets of gold,
In a robe and a crown sublime.

Time, God’s servant, brought me here;
He took me to heaven’s door.
Now I will live for eternity,
And Time will be no more.

Becky O. Wall

Footnote: I wrote the essence of this, though not in rhyme, when I was 16 for no particular reason. It was just inspired. I am now 69 (2017) and have lived out most of my story. The best is yet to come.

Comments