BLACKLISTED


I have lists all over my house. I have lists of things to remember; lists of places to go; lists of things to do; budget lists; lists for the IRS; lists of people, their addresses, and phone numbers; gift lists; lists, lists, lists. Though I have lists to help me remember errands I need to run, when I go to do those things, I discover I've either forgotten or lost the list. But there's one list I would do well to forget, and that's the record of wrongs I keep tucked away in a dark corner of my heart.

Every time I get tired, depressed, or stressed out, I pull out that list. I remind myself how I've been wronged, then throw myself a pity party or go sit on the pity potty. And when I am all done, do I feel better? There is a country song with a line that goes, "Go ahead and feel bad if it makes you feel better." But I never do feel better. Why is that?

If I store in my heart a "blacklist" of people who have wronged me, complete with details, it makes the rest of my heart dark. I become grumpy, spiteful, and bitter. My countenance falls and I am not much fun to be around. People I like sometimes wonder if I am mad at them. Or they wonder why I have such a bad attitude. My expressions, tone of voice, and actions reflect what is going on in my heart, carrying over into other relationships. A "blacklist" keeps me from loving my enemy and it causes many to avoid me.

I injure myself more than my offender hurt me when I store an active list of wrongs in my heart. Every time I review my list, I not only nurture a grudge against the offender, but become bitter and angry toward that person. Then I turn that bitterness and anger back on myself, injuring my self-esteem and robbing myself of the joy and peace that comes from focusing on the good God has done in my life. There is great wisdom in the words of I Corinthians 13:5: "Love...doesn't keep a record of wrongs." (NIV) Lists of wrongs keep us from loving our neighbor, ourselves, and God.

If I keep a list in my heart of things I hate about myself, such as #1 - stupid, #2 - ugly, #3 - a loser, only then am I a stupid loser. My list may be based on what the devil whispers in my ear or what I perceive others think about me. My opinion of myself and corresponding blacklist may be based on times others hurt me, on times I hurt them, and/or on times I sinned against myself and cannot accept the forgiveness Jesus offers. I am commanded to love both my enemy (Matt. 5:44) and my neighbor (Matt. 22:39), but it is understood in the latter verse that I am also to love myself. If I don't love myself, I will show less love to others.

Exposing my blacklist to the Light brings insight, an additional measure of spiritual maturity, and humility. For it is I who put the "black" in my list. "Losing" that list has brought joy, peace, healthy relationships, and has taken me into a closer relationship with God. If you have blacklisted yourself or others, lose the list. You'll be a better person for it.

--Becky Wall

Comments

  1. It is so very true that we are often our own worst enemy. Jesus can fix it all if we are willing to pull those things out of the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you and I love you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brett, you may wonder why I'm just now responding to your comment but for some reason I'm just now seeing yours and Elaine's. I am definitely my own worst enemy. You know what they say: Write about what you know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eight years. Not bad. The fact that you found them AT ALL is commendable.

      Delete

Post a Comment