HOW TO PRAY



HOW TO PRAY

“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41

Abraham, Isaac and Jacob prayed for their needs and their needs were met. I found no mention of Esau taking the time to pray, though he did forgive his brother for deceiving him.

In the story of the 10 plagues of Egypt, and with each plague Pharoah begged Moses to pray that the plague would stop. He made Moses promises but never kept them. Then the people began to cry out to Moses when the plague of snakes had taken over the Egyptian side of the city.

Moses later had to pray for his brother, Aaron, for God was angry enough with him to kill him.

Hear my prayer, O God; listen to the words of my mouth. Psalm 54:2

Listen to my prayer, O God, do not ignore my plea; Psalm 55:1

Hear me, Lord, and answer me, for I am poor and needy. Psalm 86:1

Hear my prayer, Lord; listen to my cry for mercy. Psalm 86:6

But I cry to you for help, Lord; in the morning my prayer comes before you. Psalm 88:13


Lord, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief. Psalm 143:1

The Lord is far from the wicked, but he hears the prayer of the righteous. Proverbs 15:29

10 This is what the Lord says about this people:
“They greatly love to wander;
they do not restrain their feet.
So the Lord does not accept them;
he will now remember their wickedness
and punish them for their sins.”

11 Then the Lord said to me, “Do not pray for the well-being of this people. Jeremiah 14:10-11

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. 12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. 13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. Jeremiah 29:11-13

"Pray that the Lord your God will tell us where we should go and what we should do.” Jeremiah 42:3

40 Let us examine our ways and test them,
and let us return to the Lord.
41 Let us lift up our hearts and our hands
to God in heaven, and say:
42 “We have sinned and rebelled
and you have not forgiven.
43 “You have covered yourself with anger and pursued us;
you have slain without pity.
44 You have covered yourself with a cloud
so that no prayer can get through. Lamentations 3:40-44

Three times a day he got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God...Daniel 6:10

But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you...Matthew 5:44

“And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full." Matthew 6:5

"...pray continually..." I Thessalonians 5:17 (NIV; "...pray without ceasing..." (KJV)

6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. Matthew 6:6-8 NIV

9a After this manner therefore pray ye: 
9b Our Father which art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
10 Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:
     For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen. Matthew 6:6-         9a (KJV)

“It is written,” he said to them, “‘My house will be called a house of prayer..." Matthew 21:13

“Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.” Matthew 26:41

And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” Mark 11:25

They devour widows’ houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. These men will be punished most severely.” Mark 12:40

But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed. Luke 5:16

Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. Luke 18:1

...bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. Luke 6:28

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everyone else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ 13 “But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’ 14 “I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For all those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.” Luke 18:9-14

"Be always on the watch, and pray that you may be able to escape all that is about to happen, and that you may be able to stand before the Son of Man.” Luke 21:36 (Things happen, I know from experience. It is important to pray that no tragedy or crisis happens and then, if it does, pray that He will help you through it. In other words, that he will give you hope and help you cope.)

I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours. John 17:9

They all joined together constantly in prayer... Acts 1:14

They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Acts 2:42

He (Cornelius) and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked. The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God." About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. Cornelius answered: “Three days ago I was in my house praying at this hour, at three in the afternoon. Suddenly a man in shining clothes stood before me and said, ‘Cornelius, God has heard your prayer and remembered your gifts to the poor...' Acts 10:2, 4, 9, 30"

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12

I urge you, brothers and sisters, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to join me in my struggle by praying to God for me. Romans 15:30 (Don't hesitate to ask others to pray for you or with you.)

Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. I Corinthians 7:5 (Best to study the context of this verse.)

I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in his holy people. Ephesians 1:18

14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:14-19

Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel... Ephesians 6:19 (Likewise, pray for the preacher.)

In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy. Philippians 1:4

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight. Philippians 1:9 (Make this also your prayer for others.)

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:6

We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you... Colossians 1:3

...we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives, so that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God... Colossians 1:9-10

Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. Colossians 4:2

And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil people, for not everyone has faith. II Thessalonians 3:2

Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. James 5:13

Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. James 5:14

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. James 5:16

Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers. i Peter 3:7

For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil. I Peter 3:12

The end of all things is near. Therefore be alert and of sober mind so that you may pray. I Peter 4:7

Dear friend, I pray that you may enjoy good health and that all may go well with you, even as your soul is getting along well. 3 John 1:2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Table of Contents

TABLE OF CONTENTS