YOUTH IN THE BIBLE, Names, Roles & Advice




YOUTH IN THE BIBLE

Genesis 37:2
"These are the generations of Jacob. Joseph, being seventeen years old, was feeding the flock with his brethren;"

Leviticus 27:2-6
‘If anyone makes a special vow to dedicate a person to the Lord by giving the equivalent value, set the value of a male between the ages of twenty and sixty at fifty shekels of silver, according to the sanctuary shekel[; for a female, set her value at thirty shekels; for a person between the ages of five and twenty, set the value of a male at twenty shekels and of a female at ten shekels; for a person between one month and five years, set the value of a male at five shekels of silver and that of a female at three shekels of silver; (offering)

Numbers 1:45
"So were all those that were numbered of the children of Israel, by the house of their fathers, from twenty years old and upward, all that were able to go forth to war in Israel;" (Teens did not have to go to war.)

Numbers 11:28
"Joshua son of Nun, who had been Moses’ aide since youth, spoke up and said, “Moses, my lord, stop them!”

I Samuel 12:2
"Now you have a king as your leader. As for me, I am old and gray, and my sons are here with you. I have been your leader from my youth until this day." Samuel was given by his mother, Hannah, to Eli the Prophet to raise in the Lord and became a prophet himself.

I Samuel 17:33
"Saul replied, “You are not able to go out against this Philistine and fight him; you are only a young man, and he has been a warrior from his youth.” The author, who is believed to be Samuel in the first part of the book, is telling about King Saul speaking to David about Goliath.

2 Kings 14:21
"And all the people of Judah took Azariah, which was sixteen years old, and made him king instead of his father Amaziah."

2 Kings 24:8
"Jehoiachin was eighteen years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem three months."

2 Chronicles 26:1
"Then all the people of Judah took Uzziah, who was sixteen years old, and made him king in the room of his father Amaziah."

Job 13:26
"For you write down bitter things against me and make me reap the sins of my youth." The author of this book, presumably Job, laments the sins of his youth.

Psalm 25:7
"Do not remember the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you, Lord, are good." King David admits sinning in his youth and being rebellious but implores God to remember him which also means not to forget him. He praises the Lord for being good believing he can win God's favor, which he does.

Psalm 88:15
"From my youth I have suffered and been close to death; I have borne your terrors and am in despair." David speaks of trials suffered during his youth. We know that King Saul tried to kill him several times and we also know that David led many battles early in his adult life. He most likely killed Goliath in his teens.

Psalm 119:9-19
9 How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.
17 Be good to your servant while I live,
that I may obey your word.
18 Open my eyes that I may see
wonderful things in your law.
19 I am a stranger on earth;
do not hide your commands from me.

Psalm 127:4 "Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth." Evidently David feels it is best to have children while in your young years.

Proverbs 2:17
"Wisdom will save you also from the adulterous woman, from the wayward woman with her seductive words, 17 who has left the partner of her youth and ignored the covenant she made before God."

Proverbs 4:4-27
“Take hold of my words with all your heart;
keep my commands, and you will live.
5 Get wisdom, get understanding;
do not forget my words or turn away from them.
6 Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you;
love her, and she will watch over you.
7 The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom.
Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
8 Cherish her, and she will exalt you;
embrace her, and she will honor you.
9 She will give you a garland to grace your head
and present you with a glorious crown.”
10 Listen, my son, accept what I say,
and the years of your life will be many.
11 I instruct you in the way of wisdom
and lead you along straight paths.
12 When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
when you run, you will not stumble.
13 Hold on to instruction, do not let it go;
guard it well, for it is your life.
14 Do not set foot on the path of the wicked
or walk in the way of evildoers.
15 Avoid it, do not travel on it;
turn from it and go on your way.
16 For they cannot rest until they do evil;
they are robbed of sleep till they make someone stumble.
17 They eat the bread of wickedness
and drink the wine of violence.
18 The path of the righteous is like the morning sun,
shining ever brighter till the full light of day.
19 But the way of the wicked is like deep darkness;
they do not know what makes them stumble.
20 My son, pay attention to what I say;
turn your ear to my words.
21 Do not let them out of your sight,
keep them within your heart;
22 for they are life to those who find them
and health to one’s whole body.
23 Above all else, guard your heart,
for everything you do flows from it.
24 Keep your mouth free of perversity;
keep corrupt talk far from your lips.
25 Let your eyes look straight ahead;
fix your gaze directly before you.
26 Give careful thought to the paths for your feet
and be steadfast in all your ways.
27 Do not turn to the right or the left;
keep your foot from evil.

Proverbs 5:18
"May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth."

Proverbs 29:21
"A servant pampered from youth will turn out to be insolent."

Ecclesiastes 4:13
"Better a poor but wise youth than an old but foolish king who no longer knows how to heed a warning.

Ecclesiastes 11:9
"You who are young, be happy while you are young, and let your heart give you joy in the days of your youth. Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment."

Ecclesiastes 11:10
"So then, banish anxiety from your heart and cast off the troubles of your body, for youth and vigor are meaningless."

Ecclesiastes 12:1
"Remember your Creator in the days of your youth, before the days of trouble come and the years approach when you will say, “I find no pleasure in them”—

Isaiah 40:30-31
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.

Isaiah 54:4
“Do not be afraid; you will not be put to shame. Do not fear disgrace; you will not be humiliated. You will forget the shame of your youth…”

Jeremiah 3:25
"Let us lie down in our shame, and let our disgrace cover us. We have sinned against the Lord our God, both we and our ancestors; from our youth till this day we have not obeyed the Lord our God.”

Jeremiah 22:21-22 ("...this is what the Lord says about Jehoiakim son of Josiah king of Judah:")
"I warned you when you felt secure,
but you said, ‘I will not listen!’
This has been your way from your youth;
you have not obeyed me.
22 The wind will drive all your shepherds away,
and your allies will go into exile.
Then you will be ashamed and disgraced
because of all your wickedness."

Jeremiah 31:19
"After I strayed, I repented; after I came to understand, I beat my breast. I was ashamed and humiliated because I bore the disgrace of my youth.’"

Ezekiel 16:43
“‘Because you did not remember the days of your youth but enraged me with all these things, I will surely bring down on your head what you have done, declares the Sovereign Lord. Did you not add lewdness to all your other detestable practices?"

Daniel 1:3-7
"Then the king ordered Ashpenaz, chief of his court officials, to bring into the king’s service some of the Israelites from the royal family and the nobility— 4 young men without any physical defect, handsome, showing aptitude for every kind of learning, well informed, quick to understand, and qualified to serve in the king’s palace. He was to teach them the language and literature of the Babylonians. 5 The king assigned them a daily amount of food and wine from the king’s table. They were to be trained for three years, and after that they were to enter the king’s service. 6 Among those who were chosen were some from Judah: Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael and Azariah. 7 The chief official gave them new names: to Daniel, the name Belteshazzar; to Hananiah, Shadrach; to Mishael, Meshach; and to Azariah, Abednego.

Malachi 2:13-15
"Another thing you do: You flood the Lord’s altar with tears. You weep and wail because he no longer looks with favor on your offerings or accepts them with pleasure from your hands. 14 You ask, “Why?” It is because the Lord is the witness between you and the wife of your youth. You have been unfaithful to her, though she is your partner, the wife of your marriage covenant. 15 Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth."

I Peter 5:5
In the same way, you who are younger, submit yourselves to your elders. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Table of Contents

TABLE OF CONTENTS