KINDERGARTEN IN THE 50S

 

KINDERGARTEN IN THE 50S

Things were way different back in the 50s concerning relationships, courtesies, knowledge and language. When I was in the lower grades like kindergarten and 1st grade, we sang this little 5-finger song with actions. It was about Thumbkin, Pointer, Tall Man, Ringkin and Pinky. The lyrics went "Where is Thumbkin, where is Thumbkin," "Here I am, here I am" and the lyrics were repeated for each finger changing only the name of the finger. The left-handed finger would ask the "Where is ____, where is _____" part and the right handed finger would respond with "Here I am, here I am" while pointing only that finger straight up. The left-handed finger would ask "How are you today, Sir?" And the right-handed finger's response would be "Very well and thank you" while bowing the erect finger down a few times. That was followed by "Run away, run away" while each arm went behind the singers' backs. What crossed my mind is how it looked with the class of students standing in a circle displaying Tall Man (middle finger) while singing in complete innocence, "Here I am, here I am."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Table of Contents

TABLE OF CONTENTS