THE GREATEST PAIN OF ALL


(Based on Psalm 22:14-18)

A pack of villains laid me on a cross,
Though the beatings have taken their toll.
They drive a nail through each hand and my feet,
Lift the cross and drop it in a hole.

My blood pours out like water,
While people gloat and point.
The weight of my body pulls me apart,
‘Til my bones are out of joint.

My mouth is chapped and swollen,
I have never felt such thirst.
My tongue sticks to the roof of my mouth,
While by other men’s tongues I am cursed.

Wild, hungry dogs surround me,
Drawn by my blood’s appeal.
They wait for my body to drop,
So they can have their next meal.

I can count all of my bones,
For they are on display.
But no matter how much I suffer,
This is the price I must pay.

My clothes are divided among them;
They try to humiliate me.
They cast lots for my outer garment.
I’m exposed for the world to see.

My heart is weak and aching,
Under the weight of man’s sin,
But the greatest pain of all,
Is in knowing the hearts of such men.

Becky Overturf Wall

Comments