PHARISEES: NOTHING HURTS LIKE THE TRUTH

(Luke 7:36-50)

Jesus was asked by a Pharisee,
To come to his house to eat.
Christ reclined at Simon’s table,
Then a woman appeared at His feet.

She had lived a sinful life,
Maybe looking for someone to care.
She brought a jar of perfume,
When she learned that Jesus was there.

She wet His feet with her tears,
And wiped them with her hair.
She kissed them then applied perfume,
And the perfume was very rare.

The Pharisee who invited Jesus,
Said to himself with doubt,
"If this man were really a prophet,
He’d know what this woman is about."

Jesus then said to Simon,
"I will tell you about her tears."
"Tell me, teacher," Simon said.
Though he wasn’t exactly all ears.

"Two men owed money to a certain lender:
A large and a little debt.
Neither of them could pay the man back,
So the lender said the loans he’d forget.

Now which man loved him more?" Jesus asked.
Simon replied with dread,
"I suppose the one with the bigger debt."
"You are right," Jesus then said.

"Look at her” said Jesus to Simon,
Who chose right but still felt defeat,
“I came as a guest into your house.
Yet you give me no water for my feet.”

But she wet my feet with her tears,
And wiped them with her hair.
Though you did not give me a kiss on the cheek,
She kisses my feet though they're bare.

You did not put oil on my head,
But she poured perfume on my feet.
Therefore, I tell you, her sins are forgiven--
Her measure of love you can’t meet.

Those who’ve been forgiven little,
Usually love very little."
The ones who know Christ’s mercy,
Cherish their day of acquittal.

Then Jesus said to the woman,
In front of the other guests,
"Your sins I have forgiven."
But the guests were not impressed.

They began to huddle and say,
"Who is this who forgives her sin?"
They were insulted by His words,
For they were not caring men.

Jesus said to the woman,
After giving her sins release,
"Your strong faith has saved you;
You may go in peace."

The Pharisee felt no peace;
He thought Jesus was uncouth.
He and the others would retaliate,
Because nothing hurts like the truth.

Becky Overturf Wall

Comments