AVOID UNCLEAN LIPS



AVOID UNCLEAN LIPS

When my seven siblings and I were young we weren't allowed to say the word "butt" because it was a semi cuss word. We had to say "bobo" instead. We weren't allowed to say "fart" either. We had to say "poot" instead. But at some point I rebelled and began to say "butt." No one else was using the "bobo" word to describe that body part. And when we moved to a new town, there was a Bobo's Pizza. That clinched it. Out with the "bobo" word. 


I still won't say "fart." And I spell cuss words when I repeat what others have said when what they said includes a cuss word. One of our friends says we're the only family that spell-cusses. The only way I will say "Damn" is if I'm talking about the brand name of certain trolls (toys). We couldn't say "darn," which is "damn's" substitute cuss word. Of course the sh _ _ word was way off limits. And he_ _ was reserved for the place "down in the ground" that we were going to if we didn't live right. The "f" word was unthinkable, considered by society in that day as the worst of the curse words.

I exclaimed "Dadgummit" one time and my daughter-in-law was shocked. She had never heard me cuss before and she thought I had said "G__d_mm_t." So that exclamation had to go too. I don't even want to give the appearance of evil and if using God's name is evil, as stated by the third commandment, then I'm not going to say even a variation of God's, Jesus's, or Christ's names.

I don't feel that I've missed out on anything by not cussing. I don't think cussing would have gotten me any farther in life or would have gained me more respect. In fact, I think it would have made me feel dirty and I might look dirty to others too. 


Many of the words I mentioned above are not considered cuss words by society but others are. We use some of the words I mentioned as substitute words for curse words, such as "darn" for "damn." Some say "heck" in place of "hell" as an exclamation, usually said in anger or with intensity. Of course the most grievous curse words are using God's name in vain or Christ's name or His other name: Jesus, which is supposed to be the name above all names. "Geez" is a substitute word for Jesus. OMG is somewhat like spell-cussing. "Gosh" is a form of "God." His name should be held in reverence at all costs. It is, after all, No. 3 in the Ten Commandments (Ex. 20:3 and Deut. 5:11):  “You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name."

There are many places in scripture that say we are supposed to keep our speech clean. The 3rd chapter of James, verses 3-10, is a good example: "3 When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. 4 Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. 5 Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6 The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell. 7 All kinds of animals, birds, reptiles and sea creatures are being tamed and have been tamed by mankind, 8 but no human being can tame the tongue. It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison. 9 With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse human beings, who have been made in God’s likeness. 10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers and sisters, this should not be."


Colossians 3:8 is another scripture insisting we keep our speech clean:  "But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips."

Psalm 139:20b says: " your adversaries misuse your name." David is saying this and is referring to those who misuse God's name as adversaries.

Do your best to tame your tongue. Think before you exclaim.

Becky Wall


Comments