I JUST CAN'T KEEP MY MOUTH SHUT

(Psalm 71:15-18, Jeremiah 20:9, Job 32:17 - 33:3)

If I say I will not mention God,
Or speak anymore in His name,
When it comes to the love of my life,
My tongue I cannot tame.

For in my heart is a burning fire;
It is smoldering in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in;
The Spirit within me groans.

I too will have my say;
I will tell others why I live free.
For I am full of words,
And the Spirit within compels me.

Inside I’m like bottled-up wine,
Or new wineskins ready to burst.
I must speak and find relief,
From the words that are immersed.

I will show partiality to no one,
Nor will I flatter with ease,
For if I were skilled in flattery,
My Maker I would not please.

Now, listen to my words;
They’re on the tip of my tongue.
I’m about to open my mouth;
They are worthy to be sung.

My lips speak of what I know.
They come from an upright heart.
But the problem has always been,
I can’t shut up once I start.

Becky Overturf Wall

Comments